Sunday 26 October 2008

What's in a hug?

I come from a family of huggers, we have always hugged on meeting each other it's a way to make a connection with another human being. You should get at least 3 hugs a day or give them. Because it's important to make contact with people.Humans were not meant to be on their own hugless. It does'nt mean you want anything other than a hug. It's just there to make a connection for comfort.



On Friday evening I went to the launch of NIWC archive at the Linenhall Libary. Yes that's the Northern Ireland Womens Co-alition . Did you know they wrote the good Friday agreement?? I'm not sure if you realise that I stood for election in the Peace talks? Google it and you will see. I stood in Down with 2 other candidates. How did it come about? Well I was working in Townend enterprise centre at the time http://www.townsend.co.uk/ and a wonderful women called Shiela Fairon who was working on a project the time came into my office and said. Come with me there is something interesting happening. We went down to the Ulster people Collage and met with Bronagh Hinds- currently head of policy at Queens ,then she worked for UPS. She said how they had sat down and tried to work out if any women would be at the Peace talks and realised there would not be so they figured out if a women only party was started it might make the other partys take women candidates more seriously. I remember thinking these women are amazing I have to join in as they seem like they are going to be interesting.



I have to say it was, me and the other 2 candidates got 400 odd votes and the system was such all votes were collected across NI and NIWC got their top 2 women into the Peace talks and they were the only women there. At the launch they talked about how each night they would sit down to their homework and bring in ideas the next day. They were the only party that did.The only women only party in the world at the time.



What really struck me at the launch was that here were all these amazing women who were now doing amazing things in different parts of NI society , the Human Rights Commission, the childrens commissioner was a NIWC idea etc ,etc, etc. What the whole NIWC experience taught me was it's important to participate, don't be afraid of politicians they are human, they need to know your ideas as how else will they find out what people really want.



So you can see the collection at the Linen Hall Libary political collection.No matter what people think about politics in NI it is important to participate. In no matter what shape or form because without participating it just the s*** old s***. If in doubt have a look at http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/ and see what is going on ? are you happy about it? did you vote??

No comments: