Tuesday 7 October 2008

Drips and spills

I've been thinking about these recently. I realise that at my exhibition I am preparing I have a drip thing going on and I will be accused of copying by some.(mutter, mutter) But I had a good think about it and the first of these paintings I did in 3 and a half years ago. Quite by accident one day while pursuing the magic.Before I ever saw anything else or went near the print workshop.


Then I heard that Neil Shawcross had his drip bottles( go to the Conor cafe in Botanic if your not sure what I mean) and others were starting to find drips and I wondered if well maybe we are all tuning into something happening in NI? The collective consciousness? Am I being too deep?


Bear with me, I was reading an article about a Russian gallery owner who knew the Communist regime was coming to an end because they saw it in the work of the artists about a year before it happened . Are we seeing in the artists work the melting away of the previous Northern Ireland ? the one of bigotry and fear, finger pointing and mistrust? are we seeing them tuning into a bigger and different reality ? am I included in that ?


Who knows? ....................we shall just have to wait and see, maybe we all just are copying Neil Shawcross. Who I believe is having an exhibition in the Art Tank on Lisburn Road in November. But it is kind of wierd dont you think?

No comments: