Wednesday 1 October 2008

I love Paris in the Autumn

If you notice this blog is called Belfast and beyond.

This weekend Paris was my Beyond. The sky was blue the streets were full and the sights and sounds were undoubtedly French. What is it that I noticed since I was last there ? Well city's have a certain kind of energy and Paris has one all of its own. It's actually the most visited city in the world. Or so the audio visual presentation said and it's so civilized to see people out sitting in cafes having a coffee.

Do you remember the first time that you saw a cafe seats outside in Belfast? I do, it was in Cafe Paul Rankin at the back of boots, I do even believe that the seats were actually there own taken from their garden. People said at the time, what a joke no one will ever sit there, now look at the city outdoor seats everywhere. Even before the smoking ban they were popping up. However you knew something was really starting to fly when one night I was driving up the Newtownards Road and there outside all of the pubs were people sitting in cafe style arrangements. That's a bit of a change. I though there had been a fire drill and they had all been evacuated. ....;-) Just spare a though for the road sweepers I belive BCC spend over £1 million on chewing gum clearing up on the streets of Belfast every year, but look at all the butts?? yuk spare a though for the road sweepers and all the money the Council could be spending on something else cleaning up your butts.

Cause and effect everything you do, has an effect on someone or something else.

Now so back to Northern Ireland what is going on ? Well if you want to get away from the TV tonight you can check out Raymond Henshaws exhibition at Island Arts Centre Lisburn.

What can you say about Raymond's work, well he has a things about colour and books at the moment. He has been hiding in the screen room for weeks now working away.I was just thinking that you know when someone in the Print Workshops has an exhibition coming up as you feel there is a bit more stress about them than usual. Ray has been running in and out of the workshop for weeks getting things prepared for his show . So why not see for yourself? http://www.islandartscentre.co.uk/ Lisburn I think the opening is at seven but if your not sure call and ask. More on Raymond at http://www.printcircular.com/

So what else is going on this week, Liam de Frinse has been filling the BPW with his positive energy for weeks now. He has been working on a set of 100 monotype's or I think he calls it artists printed prints? (Liam correct me if I'm wrong) It's always a bit strange when you come into the BPW at first as a new artist as you are trying to figure out how to work in the surroundings, and figure out where everything is. Liam has found his niche and it has been a joy to see him discover (or rediscover) the beauty of print. The colours vibrate, and the symbols sing.

I have changed the colours on my blogg in honour of his love of pink.

It's been nice to see him have fun with his creativity.Liam has his opening tomorrow night , I will check out which one and get back to you. He has been elected onto the new board of BPW along with Karen Daye Hutchinson and Maura Lynch.

Before I move from BPW I have to say Ivan Frew is working on a set of magical animals, bathed in a kind of moonlight...........................interesting to see how the creative mind works every one has there own process. Mine is experimentation and in that there is always a kind of instinctual following of a path . When other people look on at the path, it might be confusing for them, they may say for instance and you do not understand paper.( bare with me)
Maybe however you do but you want to go beyond a kind of rigidity. A path that you are not to sure of the outcome as you approach it but a path all the same.

Because in the words of Frank Zappa " Without deviation progress is not possible"

I've nearly finished the first 5 of my set of Chinese prints. Just one to complete.

I've no time to speak of the Royal Ulster Academy Exhibition but will leave that until I have time. Bye for now.

No comments: