Wednesday 8 October 2008

RUA and decay.

Are they two terms that often come together??? RUA and decay? I went down to have a look at the exhibition it's in the pump house at the Titanic quarter . Crisp clear yellow signs guide you there.

I've only really started to go to their exhibitions over the last few years and each time I see a evolution. Edging things forward without scaring people off. The building is great with all it's faded grandeur and pealing paint, the cold conditions I think have really effected some of the paper works they seem to be shifting slightly.

You hear people say many things about the RUA. Why do they exist? You only get in if your parents are in it,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm etc, etc. They may all be valid points but what I think you see if you go down is a snapshot of an element of the artistic practice that is going on in NI today. You do have to be warned that this is just an element, there are any other strands of practice going on.

One interesting thing that happened his year is that there was a "salon de refuse" in the best French tradition. So a number of the works that were rejected were also put on display over in West Belfast. I was told that it was a great event, I did'nt get to go and I think it was very healthy that it happened. I only wish it had happened over a longer period of time with crisp yellow signs to direct you there. because part of the reason that RUA exhibition is popular with the public is that it is marketed well.

I did see some drips and splashed but not nearly as many as I was lead to believe. There was some interesting art and some not so interesting art. A lot of muted tones. What I did notice is that I did see some work that I have seen before in exhibitions during the year and I thought that the work submitted was supposed not to be shown before. Himmmmmmmmmmmm.
Not as many prints as usual, I thought but maybe they were spread out.

So in brief it's always good to go and have a look, just do not believe that this is all the artistic practice going on in NI today and watch out for the slime running down the stairs.

You will know what I mean when you get there. It maybe the last opportunity you have to see the pump house before it gets tarted up. I believe the 6 million or so required was secured quite recently.

No comments: