Tuesday 7 October 2008

Hand shakes or kisses?

When you meet someone or say goodbye do you shake a hand, give them a hug, a quick kiss on the cheek. What is normal for you ? is it normal for others?

I suppose it's Northern Ireland so it's all about perception I was accused recently of certain political perspectives because I shook a politicians hand.(mutter, mutter, mutter) This has happened before. What I think is that it says more about the viewer than the viewed. Let me explain, many moons ago I went on some lobbying training. What they taught you is that in lobbying you take every opportunity you can. In some ways I think that the population of NI are so used to not getting access to real power in the hands of politicians, now that we have an assembly-(well sort of) some people do not realise that they need to be told what we see and think is required in the new Northern Ireland.

So anyway back to my hand shake. This particular politician enjoyed the conversation and I asked him what he was doing about cross border equity for the artists? Not clear about what I meant I explained about the tax exemption scheme that there is in the South for artists and how it has helped the economy. He asked me to send him details which I did and now I believe there is some work going on in the background looking at the issue .

Many more moons ago I was in the NIWC and I got an Assembly economic report. I was asked to read it and make suggestions as I was working in economic development at the time. One suggestion I had was no tax for artists. It got as far as the recommendations and then the Assembly collapsed. So maybe now this is the time to have a go at it again. The ball has started to roll so why not keep it running before the heads do.

The next time you see someone shake a politicians hand do not assume that your prejudices are correct and perhaps think a little before you accuse others....................................and remember they work for you, you know. http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/ why not e mail them a request to give artist in NI tax free status???they need to be able to agree on something and this might just be it.
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ you can e mail directly from there. What do you think its going to happen without your participation??????? of course not go on you know you want to.

I shall talk about kisses another time.....(can't say I've kissed any MP or MLA's and really do not intend to)

No comments: