Tuesday 28 October 2008

China and Strangford lough what's the connection?

When I was getting my paintings and prints together I was trying to get what the connection is among them, I've some on Strangford lough,Barcelona,France,Belfast and China. I kept looking and trying to think what is the connection? But then I realised I'm the connection. they are all parts of my life. I grew up admiring Strangford lough and so I feel a deep connection with the place. I go to France very year to visit my in laws, Barcelona was the first city I went to as an Adult when at Art Collage and go back every year and then Belfast is where I live and work.

But they are all connected in other ways, it's globalisation and as I opened my window this morning and watched the unseasonal of the snow that was falling I could not help but think that maybe its started again. What do I mean? Well we insist of cheap goods, so labour costs have to go to countries with little labour control and cheap labour . Like China as a result they build factories, forget about pollution as an issue and ship goods over to the West resulting in more pollution that increases green house gases changing the weather patterns . Like Snow in October in Belfast , but its ok because you bought your £1.50 television bag so that's what is important and you can pile up the cheap gadgets in your house because you like status and that's what these gadgets mean to you.

So if this all continues what will happen to Strangford Lough? It's very low lying. The sea level changed before there but it dropped. What if it increases? Will there is anything left? but a few islands? Just as well a lot of people still know how to sail as it might be the only way out.

I remember an Americian Comedian in the Blame game TV show recording, I'm sure what he said never got on TV. But he was making a joke about Donald Trump who was in the news at the time about wanting to buy land around Ballymena to build a golf course. The comedian said the real reason he wanted the land was that with sea levels rising the golf course was going to turn into prime waterside real estate because it would be the only place left in Northern Ireland. I remember my husband and I laughing and everyone else was really quiet. It was like they had never thought about climate change before.

If you have'nt try watching Al Gores DVD on what will happen if the gulf stream stops flowing it's warm water past Ireland - it all freezes over. Quite scary really ands would we be able to still plant potatoes???????

So do you still think there is no connection between Strangford Lough and China.?

No comments: