Saturday 21 March 2009

Why go to Art college part 2

The thing about going to Art college is as I said before it gives you an opportunity to explore yourself, now you might fail miserably at that but at least you get the opportunity. I had a great time there and left with a 1st class hons in Textiles and Fashion. I was the only one in my year to get it and that was quite an interesting experience because you are never quite sure of how you are going to do. I remember going into the bank manager the week before graduating asking for an extension of my overdraft but he wasn't very forth coming. I went back after getting my result and he was falling over backwards to accommodate me, "are you sure that's enough"he said.

In my mind I was just thinking, if you think that because I got a first it means I will actually be able to make a living from Art your nuts. The thing I think they don't tell you at college is that, really you are in a bubble, a hot house bubble with rareified air that will help you grow and develop. Once you leave you breath the same air as everyone else and that's not always conjucive to artistic expression. Or at least making a living out of artistic expression.................because in reality no one really cares that you have this talent, not really they oh and ah over it but does that help you survive in the real world?

Hard really because all you want to do at least all I wanted to do was do my own work because it's fantastic, it's frustrating and interesting and better than any feeling you can get anywhere...............it's a kind of relationship you build up with your soul that needs nurtured all the time. You build up this interest in yourself and it's hard to let that go. The difficulty is working out how to function in the real world. Not easy.

I remember meeting an Art collage tutor about six months after graduating and I was asking him what he was up to. He said the most difficult part of leaving Art college is the first 2 years when you are getting over the shock of being in the real world. I did'nt know what he meant at the time but the realisation slowly dawned on me and it's something I always tell people when they just graduate. It's a shock to your system the real world does'nt want you not really. They think your mad.......................................but more on that another time.

No comments: