Friday 13 March 2009

St Patricks day at Castleward







Castleward textures,
I know, I know I'm trying to get you out of your armchair again and over to somewhere else. But have you ever been to Castleward?? It is one of my favourite places in the world. As a teenager I used to work in the tea rooms as my weekend and Holiday job, I'd cycle or walk from Strangford and spend the day serving tea and scones to all the day trippers. I used to assist at the evening do's as well very entertaining seeing everyone in there seventies evening dress swanning around. There I go giving you an idea of my age away again........
Eventually I had my wedding reception there in the theatre after champagne up at Audleys castle after a boat trip up the lough. Oh there I go digressing again. Why I'm talking about Castleward is that on St Patricks day
Artzyard gallery are having an exhibition there 17th March to 22 March located in theatre, stable yard Access through the tea rooms. Opening hours 12-4pm
other artist showing
Bronagh Lawson
Alison Shaw
Andrew Coombes
John McSorley
Cecillia Stephens
Brian Trainor
Jim Manley
Ivan Frew
other ( but the others are important too ;-)
If you do go down and the weather is nice go up to Audleys castle you can drive or walk. If you get to the top you can see the view of where I did the "ebb and flow of Strangford lough print from" there is just something so fantastic about that view.
When I had the print in the Double elephant exhibition at the Ormeau Baths gallery someone came in and told me they had been proposed to on the very spot that I did the etching from. So it is special to other people as well. How nice.........................................I got my wedding photos taken up there as well in the wind and rain. Memories, memories. .................................it is what makes you who you are. So If you need to get out of the city and remember why Northern Ireland is a very beautiful place. Head for Killyleagh then Downpatrick but turn off to Strangford before you hit Downpatrick and keep doing until to see the signs for Castleward. If you do have tea and scones there and a nice day. Go on down into the village and try out the Spinnaker for your dinner.....................or the Hole in the wall for some liquid refreshment but remember do not drink and drive. ;-)The Cuan is good and Harty too. It will be good to get the lobster pot open again.................do any of you remember it in it's hay day? I do and can honestly say I've spent some of the best new years eve's there. To say nothing of the Karaoke ;-) you did'nt know I could sing did you? dont usually tell people that.
I had some good reports on the Portafery hotel for lunch big portions not like you'd get in some places in Belfast. We know how to have harty food in Strangford and Portaferry otherwise the hostelies would not survive. Some of those who went down said they had their best nights sleep for years. I'm telling you it's something in the sea air that just relaxes you. ........................................something to do with the ozone??? not sure but what ever it is it works. Bon apetite. Remember it's good to be in NI. ....................http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-castleward
I'd also link to give amention to castleward opera. If you have never been to an opera this is the place to see it for the first time there is something magical about it. Last year David Craig who I was on foundation with did the set. I was just sitting down and opened the brouchure and there he was, funny. Anyway it's fantastic http://www.castlewardopera.com/home.html and great that it's happening in NI. Why because it's good to live in NI you know. X bye for now.

No comments: