Wednesday 18 March 2009

Friday opening @ GT gallery

The Munter Hitch

Dan Shipsides and Seamus Harahan.
Opening Friday 20th March 2009 @ 6pm until 9pm
and runs until Saturday 18th April 2009.


Dan Shipsides and Seamus Harahan, two of Northern Ireland’s finest contemporary artists, come together in The Munter Hitch, showing video works that blur the lines between documentary film making and visual art. Shipsides and Harahan share a unique relationship with the environment that they occupy and offer the viewer an opportunity to walk/climb into their shoes.

If you were blind would you consider rock climbing? Dan Shipside’s work Echo Valley documents his venture of guiding a blind man through one of Spain’s toughest climbs. “I have no sight at all - so I didn’t have any fear climbing – it probably helps not to have any idea of what 20metres looks like from above.”

Before Sunrise, by Seamus Harahan, leads viewers through Alexandra Park in North Belfast, following the peace line and its division of neighbourhoods. His second work, Splitting in Two, continues the theme of the separation of communities in Belfast .

“If it’s a question of me or you, I never, ever know quite what to do because I’m always too late, I’m biting my nails, I’m splitting in two.”
“If it’s a question of loving you, there’s a barrier that I can’t break through, because I’m lonely and sad, I’m biting my nails, I’m splitting in two.”

Mark Perry, Alternative TV


This exhibition is in collaboration with the Belfast Film Festival.



Gallery open
Tuesday – Friday 10.30am – 5.30pm & Saturday 1pm – 4pm
Golden Thread Gallery, 84 -94 Great Patrick Street, Belfast, BT12LU
T: 02890330920, E: info@gtgallery.co.

No comments: