Thursday 6 November 2008

I'm having an affair.

I've fallen in love with my creative self again. It kinda annoyed me for a while because I though what use was it really . How relevant was it in today's society? What do you do with it? Looking around what relevance is there? How do you share that different sides of yourself that desires creativity but also to participate in today's NI life?

So the affair is with my inner life, my inner creative self and now I've realised what those 12 years of hardship working in all those areas have brought me, because in reality its what they have brought me not what I have brought them that matters.

What is that? they have brought me a sense of perspective a sense of the injustices of society in NI I have looking beyond the red white and blue and green white and gold and the people are hurting. The people are hurting, organisations are getting paid to help, and not all of them are. Some of them are making the matter worse, but you know what they don;t really care because as long as they get their consultancy fees the business of deprivation goes on and they can say oh we tried , what do you expect from people like that? and on and on it goes where it stops no body knows.............................................................................

So back to last night, wow thanks for everyone that turned up an opening is a weird feeling like baring your soul for all to see, although they didn't quite get to see all of it there is more to come..........................it's was nice to see such a wide cross section of people I know turn up and lots of interesting comments. But it's sort of like a whoosh you are quietly getting yourself together then everyone turns up chats, looks drinks wine , gets a reaction then it's quiet again its all gone. Just a buzz in your head and a smile in your heart. I think I never realised was the most used comment of the night, I never realised, you painted, I never realised you printed, I never realised you worked in the community, I never realised..I never realised, I never realised...............................................................................................................................so the question is do you realise now?

Does it make you see me any differently?Is it important ?

But back to the affair many of the members of BPW I have talked about have said that when they become members and stick at it after a while people start to say to they are you having an affair? Why is that? It's partly because I think you start to get obsessed by the process of printmaking, you want to learn more and more you start to have a different relationship with your inner self because it's just so frustrating yet magical. It's a physical activity so your body feels different you look different you start to have a shine in your eye and a skip in your step, so it is a kind of affair.

Anyway I cant comment on the talk the other night as I'm still processing it, but needless to say he was amazing, timely, interesting and right on my wavelength.

But something else about the drips there are 2 more exhibitions on at the moment filled with drips, I really feel we have connected with something in Northern Ireland I really think that the old order is dripping away, I hope it is, I hope it is.

One opening is tonight at the Yard gallery Holywood not sure of the time, the other is the next exhibition at the Tom Cauldwell gallery( dont get me started) but there is an image in the invite of the city hall dripping away..............................and its not because its getting a refurb at the moment. I really think we are onto something , anyone like to start writing a book on the link between drip and the break down of the old older in NI............just quote me.

So anyway, dont forget tonight is gallery night in Belfast www.belfastgallerys.com there is a talk by Ruth the visiting artist from Australia at BPW time 7 www.belfastprintworkshop.org.uk I really enjoyed her last talk on the exhibition so its well worth it and you gotta be part of the shift in Belfast it is really happening there is a shift in people conciousness and we need to shift it more.......we need to spread the word.........................we need to spread the word.

Oh one last diary date Studio 23 have you heard of it yet ? well you will, they are having a bit of a do on November 15th.......no details yet just put it in your diary.

So I have a few suprised in store over the next few days but I'll link them all to my blog, somehow, I've not quite figured that out yet.

Thanks again to all the lovely people that made the effort to come up some all the way from Portaferry and the depts of Belfast to the beautiful Castle gardens in Antrim and Clotworthy Art Centre ....just go to www.googlemaps.com and search it if you want to check it out.

Exhibitions on until 23 Dcember and can be read on many different levels........................comments welcomed in the bucket full. Magic.

Anyone out there want to comment on my blogg?? its easy you just need to register and have a go. What about you James I know your reading it? Why got get into the 21 century and participate in the cyber world................go on you know you want to. Uncle lennie what about you? any comments on my exhibition? does it do your view justice?
Bye for now.

No comments: