Wednesday 2 September 2009

Thursday night opening

So it's late night art again where the biggest and the best of the Belfast galleries are open for business Belfast print workshop has linked it's self to the big draw and as we speak an exhibition of drawings that consisted of the preliminarys of the prints are being hung.

There is a really nice selection of the work that Jan Sanger did with Michael Hart when she was artist in residence with lots of movement. But then you would expect that from an animator .........love the bright screen print dancing across the page. there is an etching and you would almost swear it was made out of plasterscene.............lovely. Interesting to see the photec layers used for the screen print..

Why is drawing so nice??? well as soon as you can hold an impliment in your hand you can use it to make marks on something and thats exactly what I have always been encouraged to do by my family. As a teenage it became an obcession a way of escaping the reality of life around me as soon as I knew that you could go to a place that you could draw and make all day ie art collage I wanted to go. Even when I was working as a training and business consultant i always kept up my sketch books and have loads from all of the travels I have been on. I remember one time in Prague I was sitting at a square drawing on the side of the pavement, some young people came over and asked me whay not just take a picture instead..and I considered why??? but in that hour that I sat on that square I connected with the place drawings like no photograph could ever do, it grounded me on the spot forced me to look at the energy around me and as a result something came out .........................another drawing for my sketch book.

I was just trying to think of another time I got a reaction with my drawing. I went to a charity diner ......I was a bit bored and wondered how I was going to get through the night. I decided to draw people on the back of the bingo sheets that were being given out. I picked out diffeent people for their characters and challanged myself to a drawing of them using one line..................when I gave them the drawing it was interesting to see the reaction. One women screemed.but then she was just a cleevage and necklace. How many women are ? One guy was a shirt and a big watch.but hay it's seemed to fit his personality............
oh better stop there.

and give the workers a hand in Victoria square ........................ maybe see you at the opening.


Anyway it should be a good exhibition. there is a free drawing workshop on sat 10th in Victoria square as well after all it's good to draw it really is.

No comments: