Friday 18 April 2008

Transition,Women and Power

I know some of you out there ask me when I actually do any work? the reality is up until the end of March I was working 12 hr days and now I'm taking the advantage of a bit of quiet before going to China new week to do nice interesting things.

Today I went to see Iron Lady of Liberia with panel discussion afterwards. On at the QFT it was about the president of Liberia the first women Africian leader and her first year in office. I found it very interesting with a population of only 3 million people and heavily in debt, no running water or electricity what are the first things you do? The answer is she took control of the situation, gave power in her cabinet to other women, played China and the US off against each other and managed to get the countries debt wiped clean. She has tremendous inner personal power and worked selflessly to use it for getting stability in the country.

The discussion afterwards from the panel was interesting, it consisted of Dawn Pervis, Jennifer McCann, Nuala O loan and Ines McCormick and the posse in the audience. What I was left thinking about was Northern Ireland is in transition, there are still not enough women in positions of power,what kind of impact is that having on society?

The most depressing thing that I heard is that after 21 years of the Women's Opportunity Unit at Ulster University it is going to close. This is the last academic year for it to survive. When I ran the careers option for women programme many of my students went on to courses at the unit and used it as a way to access opportunities into a University education. It's a great pity that it is going to close...........once again Northern Ireland is in transition. Transition to what I wonder?

No comments: