Wednesday 9 April 2008

Sacred Bull



I must have something about bulls this months as I have 2 bulls in my blog over a short period of time. This is a sacred bull sculpture in China near one of the lakes we are going to visit. Looks interesting doesn't it? ( thanks Cathrin for the Pic)




When I say I'm going to China soon ( visa permitting) people say, why ? I say there is nothing quite like going to a country that you know very little about and none of the language to understand what it must feel like to non "Norn Ireland " people coming over here to Belfast. To walk around the streets and see nothing familiar, to listen to the accent ( and this really did happen to a friend of mine) and think she was taught the wrong language at school because she could not work out what people were saying. It was also on the 12th of July but thats another story.




We do have a strange attitude to people from other cultures, in a recent development programme I was involved in there were 2 Russian women, they said that I was the first person in the 2 years since living in Belfast who had made a strong attempt at spelling and understanding their names. Pretty sad really, as a human being how would that make you feel? if no one made the effort with you ? Would you feel part of the society?




So I'm soon of to China to have that feeling, that foreigner feeling.










No comments: