Wednesday 2 April 2008

Is it a load of bull?


For those of you that have asked me yes the visa application for China has been delivered. One of the other people in our group that is going went down to Dublin yesterday and didn't get chased out of the Embassy so that's a good sign .


So what all this Bull about? Well some of you may know that a couple of years ago I did an etching course at http://www.belfastprintworkshop.org.uk/ I just wanted to do something totally different that I didn't know anything about I had my eye on it for a year before I had the time to phone up one day and see about courses. What has happened is that I found out that I loved it. It's sometimes really frustrating, sometimes fantastic and always interesting anyway I ended up as a trustee of the workshop and a director of the Gallery.

Other people have asked WHY, sometimes I have asked myself that but the workshop is a Charity a really great resource in the centre of Belfast and it needs voluntary people involved who want to keep it running.

There are so many people in Northern Ireland who want things to change around them but will not put the time and energy into being part of that change and I for one don't want to be one of the wingers, there is always something you can do.

What has this got to do with BULL's well Ivan Frew is having an exhibition there and the opening is tomorrow night 7 o'clock , he's called it animal farm ( not the video) and its inspired by being brought up in a farm. As well as having a wicked sense of humour he really knows his animals. Something that may interest you ( if you have a liking for social responsibility) is that the gallery is a social economy business so all of the profits go back into running it.

If you have not been down to the gallery and workshop before it's in the cotton court building (opposite the Merchant) just press buzzer 8 you can also visit the workshop and see "where it all happens" but it's on the 3 floor and the lift is out at the moment so be prepared.

As part of this blog is about Belfast in Transition I have to say its nice to see the Catherdral quarter that the printworkshop is located in has really started to take off. Even 2 years ago when I was go in down for my evening course it was the time that they were barricading the roads in the protestant areas.The city centre was a ghost town but now the Catherdral quarter is buzzing lots of people in the day and loads of energy in the place at night. There is always something going on and there is a real feeling of life in the place.

http://www.printcircular.com/

No comments: