Tuesday 22 April 2008

Life goes on

Well today I have a new niece, last night 3.06am to be exact there is one more Lawson in the world, just how is it going to cope (the world that is). She was delivered in the fantastic new maternity unit at Ulster Hospital. Anyone wondering if the 1% art policy that the health service has to fill its new builds should take a look at what they have done there. It makes for a totally different environment. Something fit for the 21 century.

So what do I hope for my new niece? well I hope that by the time she is 18 Northern Ireland will have started to reach some of it's early promise. I hope that although she maybe brought up here and travel that she will not feel the need to move to a different country to fulfil any potential she has. I hope by the time she goes to school the Assembly will have sorted out the education issues and by the time she wants to work that something will have been done to narrow or abolish the pay gap between men and women. Then again what ever she wants to do in the future be it a full time mum or employee or perhaps start her own business or become a brick layer. I wish that there will not be too many obstacles in her way.

How is all of this going to happen?? Well I suppose we need a bit of clear thinking by our politicians for a start. We need a change of attitude within the general population towards what girls and women are supposed to be doing and we all need to do our bit in encouraging people to think outside the box and support the next generation to live a more generous life.

I know I will be doing the best I can, what about you??

Those of you that have been asking me we did get our Visa's for China, yes we did after a mad dash to Dublin they look really amazing. We are going very early tomorrow morning Belfast, London, Dubai, Shanghai. For a while it all seemed very far away but now its very close. There are 8 of us going. I know its going to be an adventure, slightly weirdly we went out for of a Chinese last night, as if we are not going to get enough over the next few weeks.

I'm not sure how much I am going to be able to access my blog as some websites are blocked from China. However if I am able I will update it as we go.

If any of you fancy a wee trip over the may bank hoiday I have prints in an exhibition in at Castle Coole details on www.basement-gallery.com the opening is on Thursday 2st May 6-9pm where there will be wine and Music exhibition Friday 2 to Sat 3 10-5 pm, admission to exhibition is free via the main doors of castle coole.

No comments: