Thursday 17 April 2008

10 mistakes that creative people make

Well I did my quick fire presentation on 10 mistakes that creative people make this morning in the Crowne Plaza New York, I mean Dundalk. Oh how Ireland has changed, I remember 12 years doing a cross border project with Dundalk and it was a nightmare journey in a minibus to get there and once you did you were not quite sure why you went. The multistory Crowne Plaza Hotel found at the end of the ring road is miles away from the Dundalk of 12 years ago. Great to see the celtic tiger zoom up to the border.

Anyway I decided to try and make use of the hour I had with the creative participants and came up with 10 mistakes that creative people make.

I'd be interested what people out there thought.
Mistake number :.

1. Having too many ideas.

2. Your ego getting in the way.

3. Not being able to sell.

4. Not understanding market forces.

5. Not being professional in your approach.

6. Not understanding that creativity is only one part of the building block required if you want to be successful.

7. Not be able to articulate the vision.

8. Taking rejection personally.

9. Not understanding the power of networking.

10.Not knowing when to break the rules.

Of coarse each mistake had a bigger explanation to it but that's all part of the crack and I did manage to make them laugh a few times during it, which I always take as a plus.

I'd be interested to know what you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought your "mistakes that creative people make" talk was great.
It was refreshing to hear a creative person share the reality of trying to make money from their creativity. I think the majority if us felt at least once through the talk a sinking sense of "I really should have known that"

Belfast Wisdom said...

David thanks for the feed back I think you are the first person to actually reply to my blogg any other comments are welcome, let me know who things are going with you.