Wednesday 29 April 2009

How Belfast has changed

Yesterday I was walking to a Board meeting at BelfastPrintWorkshops when I came across Sir Reg (empy), out in front of St Anne Catherdral with a gaggle of media. Stand there in the rain I think he was going to do some intro stuff for the Catherdral quater Arts festival. I had my camera with me but went to get it out of my bag and all the police in a van near buy suddendly looked around at me and I kinda though. No, better not just in case someone is nervous. While I think we have come a long way from someone being shot dead for writing graffiti because the security forces thought the paint brush was a gun,( remember that) I just I would'nt reach in my bag any further.

But it did still make me think how Belfast had changed, I have lived here quite a while now and May bank holiday was always an excuse to get out of the city and get some fresh air but this May I'm staying in Belfast because there is that much on with the Catherdral Quarter Festival that it would be a pity to miss it. I mean if you were in another country you would jump at the chance but because it's Belfast people half ignore it lots of things are free, other very cheap so I think it should be supported as a kind of recognition of just how far Belfast has come. It's nice to see the maze has been demolished and we will now have one in front of the city hall in shrubs instead..................................progress don't you just love it;-)

I also received the Ormeau Baths Gallery leaflet while I am biased I think it's great to see how organisations in Belfast are starting to work together more.

Lots of things of note going on but I think it's fantastic that in September we have the BPW editions exhibition showing the different range of artists that have been part of the workshops residency programme since 2003. Prints along side work from their own practice-from painting,drawing,sculpture to performance art. Exciting electronic art in August from ISEA symposium. Polish contemporary art starting next week. Now wouldn't it be a good idea to have a N Irish contemporary Art week????????????? it's that word again contemporary. www.ormeaubaths.co.uk
www.cqaf.com

No comments: