Thursday 9 April 2009

out and about

Nice to see the traffic has calmed in Belfast the Easter shoppers are out people are battling through the wind to get themselves their Easter clothes and everywhere in the shops there are sales on. I have to see it's nice to see some new colour around and about. Its this time of the year when i look for new colour , at the moment its blue I need to see of all shades but in particular turquoise blue. Funny how that happens.

I've started working on a body of work based on my experience of working on the peace line in North Belfast , getting ill as a result of it and eventually getting better. It's taken me four years since leaving the job since I have felt well enough to approach the subject. I think I have been scared to touch it because I wasn't sure I could cope with what would come out but I've come to the point where it's coming out no matter what I think. What it really all means at this point I'm not entirely sure but I suppose that's part of the joy of creativity..............the pleasure and the pain of it..................

Still cant believe its been 20 years since I left art college and I suppose what I'm beginning to think is that what we train our creative people to do is so very narrow compared to what we really need our creative people to do . Leonardo Da Vinchi did not narrow himself to "painting" or "print" he was a creative thinker and as such he used his mind to think and create ideas for so many different things. Inventing helicopters to the roof of the Sistine chapel he was not narrowed in his thinking. I suppose that's what I think about creative people in this next phase of humanity's life there are going to be so many challenges , energy, population control, resources, climate change etc etc etc is it going to be the straight line thinkers that are going to rise to the challenge?? Probably not . If your used to following,do you still follow when everything is falling over the edge of a cliff?? Maybe it's the lemming in us??/ Not sure, not sure, not sure.

However we shall see what happens with this body of work I feel its taking me somewhere else intirely. Have a nice Easter.

No comments: