Monday 7 December 2009

Is Hugh Mulholland sexist???

On Thursday night I went to 7 different gallery's in Belfast for late night art. I started off in the Ormeau Baths- there was to be a honorary doctorate given to Terance Flannigan. It didn't happen as he went into a coma the very same day but as I walked around the gallery and looked at 160 years-(THATS ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY YEARS)a long time of Belfast art college history what really struck me about the exhibition that in 160 years there is only 2 women represented. I will have to go back and check again. As its 2 small pieces. Did I say SMALL PIECES.There is even a PIECE OF WEAVING designed by a man and weaving organised by a women. ???????????????????????? Does the ormeau Baths really think that this fits in with their equality policy?? Does the Art college really think that this fits in with their equality policy?.I believe Hugh Mulholland curated the exhibition ??? was he just so excited at the thought of getting back into the OBG that he forgot about all the women. Or maybe he's just sexist?????????? I wonder if the exhibition came in on budget?? or is that just another story??

There are a few other stories in the exhibition particularly in the painting section. I must go back and check again but I think that even in the classical drawing section alot of the nudes are of men. But I will have to check about that. I saw a few people writing away reporting on the event. I wonder if they picked up the bit about the women ???? probably not. Ho hum where are the guerilla girls when you need them.?????????

Engine room have a fantastic exhibition and selection of Belfast Artists, Miguel Martin in PS2 is a bit kinky, BPW is selling off the wall and a good all around art show. First Thursday out in your diary for the new year great crack and a good cross section of creativity on show.

No comments: