Monday 17 August 2009

Tall ships are gone ;-(

Well what did you think about the tall ships I have to say I have never seen so many people in Belfast. There are so many things that they have in Belfast that people stay away from but for some reason the Tall ships caught everyones imagination. I went down on 2 nights Thursday and Saturday. Saturday on the Odessey side what I really saw was that for the first time the marina at the back of the odessey started to look a bit like the computer added drawing of the redevelopment of the Titanic quater. It's supposed to double the size of the population of Belfast, but who knows what will happen to the economy in the meantime??

What was interesting about the crowd was it was a real mix of Northern Ireland Society with a few voices from South of the border as well, people were randomly walking around not quite sure where to go and on cycling home I did get asked by a confused couple "where on earth was the M1" ?I'm not sure what the final visitor numbers were but I think Belfast did it's self proud. Not much Police about but there did'nt seem to need any ? I'm sure the would tell you different. The only hiccup I saw/heard was the tanoy on Saturday night telling everyone that the event was over, it suddenly started cutting out and sounded as if the Lepracauns were taking over ;-)but sure did'nt it make it more authintic for the visitors???

So there you go another change in the Belfast landscape actually being able to cope with such an event on such a scale, the pubs in town were packed and life was everywhere.

No comments: