Thursday 13 August 2009

tall ships and technologyanyone??

the fever has come to Belfast, it seems that half the world is coming to come and see the tall ships. I was wondering if anyone can cast their minds back to when thay came the first time?? I was at school, no one and nobody was ever coming to Northern Ireland because they were too scared and low and behold the tall ships came, it was a frenzy of excitement, a mantra went around the school, "tall ships, tall ships have you seen the tall ships???? "tall ships ,tall ships have you seen the tall ships?"

I confess I didn't go but Friends of mine did and talked about how they were trampled into a fence by the stampeding women trying to get a look at the sailors. Now I'm sure it will be different this time.!!!! ;-) Northern Ireland has moved on hasn't it;-)

My great grandfather used to sail on just such a ship out of Portaferry to Australia you can imagine the thoughts that must have been going through his head going off for the first time. The months at sea, the food, the waves, the stars at night. One day he sailed off and never returned, died in the port after reaching Australia................do you think when the oil runs out the sea will increase in importance again as a trading route?? If the sea rises and the tides all change how many people have the skills to still navigate it? are we too reliant on technology??

Speaking of which I went to see the first of the ISEA exhibitions the one at the Golden thread and I'd like to tell anyone who has a techie teenager and they want t o engage them in Art go and see the exhibition. Make sure you have plenty of time, because it takes time to get your head around it. I'd advise taking someone with you and trying out thr interrogation installation ( I'm sure there are a few people In NI who would take to it naturally) can't let anything else on it out of the bag.I was mesmerised by a piece of art that showed a visual trace of the waves coming of a television ariel(sp) It was very meditative and made me think of all the wireless waves and unseen influences that are floating around us all the time. What are they doing to our bodies??? No wonder we dont always feel well with all the unseen enviornmental polution.

Well worth a visit and just a note to anyone who went to the late night art we had over 100 peopke through the doors of the wee gallery at BPW last thursday so me think its starting to work. So put it in your diary for next month................................................maybe see you at the tall ships. Just one thing before i go I did apply to go on the Belfast City Councils Atlantic challange opportunity with the Tall ships but was not picked I did get asked down on a Saturday for an interview but I think the reason I was not picked had something to do with things I have said on this blogg??? or maybe not?? but I think it's a pity that speaking your mind in Northern Ireland put this invisbale barrier between you and opportunities..ho hum.the cost of having moral fiber.

No comments: