Saturday 14 November 2009

How many weeks to Christmas?

No matter how often you push it away Christmas keeps coming every year over and over.
When I used to run training on dealing with your finances no matter what time of the year it was I used to ask. Who has bought all their Christmas Presents and there was always one person,no matter what time of the year it was that had already bought everything. Yet many at this time of the year get into debt. Why is it? I suppose it all depend on our learned behaviour to do with money. What we learnt growing up, how we saw people around us dealing with money. How we learned to deal with money growing up effects us as adults. When i do the training for the FSA I always start by saying I'm an artist. That shocks them somewhat because they think how can an artist know about money? why should an artist be telling me something about money? Well sometimes I get confused myself but someone told me that what I do is prove that everyone needs to know about money. No what what you do and no matter what your career is or not you have to be able to deal with money on a daily basis and if you deal with it badly and make lifestyle choices that reflect this then it has a knock on effect on your life.

So in thinking about Christmas, dont get into debt. Think about the long term implications of your actions what you are spending your money on? Why you are spending your money on it? Is it to boast? to make up for things you have done in the year? I remember a women in one of my classes who spent £1500 on each of her 2 children every year. She could not afford this and often carried on the debt from the previous year in order to deal with it. I used to wonder what it was that these children were being taught about life? live above your means for a quick fix, pay it off later- if ever. I just walk around toy shops and wonder whats it all for?? Cheap toys made in dodgy conditions on the other side of the world imported at great cost to the planet to be bought by harassed parents, trashed in two weeks or left after the batterys run out? What is the point???? Is this what Christmas is all about?? me thinks not.

So in your Christmas shopping list think about the impact of your purchasing habits. If you can't afford it -dont. If you feel bad about it,well at least by explaining to the next generation why this is the case it might teach them a lesson about economics, The realitys of life and the big bad world out there. Happy Shopping.;-) or not as the case maybe.;-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hear,hear missbelfast&beyond,know your limits and live within them wheter for christmas or holidays etc.