Friday 12 June 2009

last night in Belfast

So the evening started off by a solo walk in evening dress through the cathedral quarter (strange looks all around) calling into the Belfast Print Workshops to see the blue exhibition I have to say who would have thought that just a single colour could bring forth so much imagination. That's what is interesting about Artists you never know what is going on in their heads (usually its better not to) and so at some point something comes out and there you go. There are too many pieces that I like to pick out specifics but Jill Evans has been slaving away for ages on a beautiful lino cut that simply shimmers, Lisa Malone has a fantastic blue with little people running to pub to pub. I love the sense of humour in her prints. Liam de Finse is showing Frieda maybe it's something of what is to come with his planned hero's, pricks and villains exhibition scheduled for the Autumn? I do love the image on the poster "what the fairy's left behind" but then again I am biased because it's mine. It's kinda sent me of on another direction. Started off as a cynotype and then turned into a photo etching with the help of Michael Hart. So much luck and thought and chance goes into the creative process.

Exhibition runs until 20 July go have a nosey.

Later I went to the business in the community awards dinner (hence the evening dress earlier) held in the waterfront. I've never been to something in the waterfront where they have taken out all the seats before. It worked really well. I must say it was a bit long winded but I was amazed by just how many people I actually recognised from different things I have been involved in. There were a couple of things I noticed Martin McGuiness was giving the keynote speech he seemed giddy with various things. If someone had not told me he was a tea totally I would have said he was drunk maybe its the election results? he kept going on about fly fishing? go figure???? then Arlene foster who was standing i for peter Robinson ( who after the election results (maybe decided not to go ) Arlene had a prepared speech but it lacked a bit of style. I did notice that when Martin Maguniess got up to talk most of one table got up to leave-grabbing their bottles of wine as they went. It's a subtle move but to me shows part of the underlying feelings of some people in NI, maybe ?????

Anyway I was a guest of Women in business as they are about to launch a new website focused at helping women into business and reaching out to those less fortunate than themselves to help get them onto self employment.

Anyway is 'nt it great to see the sun out........bye for now. Dont forget At Sundays.

No comments: