Thursday 11 September 2008

Chaos at the Cresent

Monday was registration day at Crescent Arts centre temporally moved to Ormeau Road, I have tried to register in the past for classes but never managed it. So this time I went early, no 7 in the Q by the time they opened the doors I was number 20 with all the Q jumpers. People were Queuing around the block. There was some discussion about the state of adult education the provision is very much cut this year. WEA have very few classes and a lot of projects that were funded through Peace have been cut. I have in the past been in meeting with Del where the minister and Del officials have stated that their is no evidence to show that people from non accredited courses move into accredited courses and eventually into contributing to the economy.While I can see their logic I think it's very short sighted. I have been a trainer and tutor on courses over the last 12 years and many of the people would not have come forward if the courses were all accredited, as it would have been seen as too much of a scary step.

Many people use adult/community education as a first step in improving their health either mentally or physically and I think it's a shame that that benefit it not taken into consideration.

However I also noticed in the Cresent Q that many of the people had already completed the classes before and were coming back again, so their is an argument about why should these be subsidised? as people were not moving on and giving others the place.

One last word about the Cresent, I hope that in getting their building renovated that they are also going to have a new booking system. I have never expereinced such a paper based archaic system in a long time. But I suppose it means that everyone has a fair chance of getting a place if their legs can stand the wait/weight.

Bye for now.

No comments: