Friday 26 September 2008

Active citizenship !!

It's great to be an active citizen is it not ? What is an active citizen? Some one who actively takes part in there surroundings and volunteers at something. Want to be see change, why not like Gandi, be the change you want to see in the world.

Sometimes people say Bronagh why do you do so much? I feel like saying why do you do so little? but I don't I usually say I do not have a television or Children. Which in a way is the easy way out of having a deep and meaning full conversation. But the real reason is that I want to feel that I have participated fully in life and helped Northern Ireland on it's way, where is that way going to ? I'm not sure but the wheels are turning. Sometimes they grind to a halt but they are turning.

So today was the start of WEAVE or Women Enterprise and Voluntary Education at Intercomm www.intercommbelfast.org funded by TWN but now DEL. It's was something I helped set up when I was business development manager at www.north-city.co.uk I still stay involved as I really enjoy working with the women and they make some fantastic products.But mostly it is to help people see a way out of their present situation, give them some restbite and support to unleash their creativity and perhaps improve their economic situation.

Women's lives are not straight forward they often go in zig- zags and sometimes that zig-zag needs a bit of help to work its way around so it does not fall off the edge.

No comments: