Thursday 7 August 2008

Paintings not prints

One good thing about the weather being wet and rainy is that it has given me new colours to use when I'm painting. It's amazing when you are sailing how the colours change on the sea depending on the weather.You can use a whole other palette of greys and greens. Which is what I have been doing, I've been experimenting using a MDF background of it lets a sort of brown shine through on the paintings a bit like using pastel paper and pastels.

I've been quite pleased with some of them and have a selection of them in www.townhouseart.com a gallery in Great Victoria Street Belfast. They are getting framed a the moment and will be in the gallery from next week as well as up on their website. They have also selected a number of prints for the gallery as well. I think its very interesting to see what prints different people pick when they are looking through a portfolio. Everyone goes for something different. But that's what makes life interesting.

I've also been working on some new Chine colle prints, using some amazing paste and paper that I bought when in China. Chine colle is Chinese collage you can use it as a way of getting colour into your prints but its tricky to do as there is always an element of chance with it, however I'm kind off addicted to it at the moment.

Now don't forget that tonight is first Thursday www.belfastgalleries.com when all the gallery are open late they are even having a party afterwards. Rumour has it that soon they are going to have a bus going around the different galleries on first Thursday evenings. However it's not recommended that you have a glass of wine at each venue.

No comments: