Monday 16 June 2008

Why did Bush come to Belfast?

As we speak I can hear the siren from Stormont as Bush or some of his posse make their way through Belfast. It does make me wonder why he came . There was a small demonstration in Belfast City centre when I went in earlier on today with placards saying "troops out" just as I was thinking, well the troops are out of N.Ireland are they not? then I could read the small print saying "out of Iraq". MMMmmmmmmmmmmm.



It reminded me of when Clinton come over the time before last. There was a small group demonstrating about something that was happening in America . He said how he was pleased to see them, when asked why? he said it proved that people in N.I was starting to evolve and grow as they had time to demonstrate about something else other than Northern Ireland.



So I suppose that's progress. Time slips past no matter what you do. I noticed in the Wellington Park hotel they have lots of drawings of politicians by Raymond Piper he must have drawn them during the peace process and what struck me about the ones I could see from when I was sitting very few were still "players" Seamus Mallon is retired as is John Hume and Ian Paisley , David Ervine is dead Billy Hutchinson no longer a MLA it seemed quite positive that there was some sort of turnover of personalities. Clinton, Bertie Ahern and Blair also moved on . But what do we get in their place???? Well lets not go there it's a bit of wait and see.



Anyway still not sure what Bush is here apart for a photo opportunity. Just heard Gordon Brown on the radio as he came over to talk with Bush in Belfast but he was focusing on the price of oil. So we are yesterdays news. Thats good, is it not??

No comments: